Thursday, August 4, 2011

Social pressures

So there is a very real part of this process that I think everyone needs to prepare themselves for... I thought I was ready but last night proved I was not. Last night was a wonderful celebration for our family, we went to dinner with pride in our hearts and happiness on our faces. We invited the whole extended family (9 of us) and headed off to Outback steakhouse. I had consulted my dear sweet friend and the online menu (who knew they had a gluten free menu?? too cool) and felt prepared as I stepped into the restaurant. I knew I was going to be very specific about my order, I knew some of the other people at the table might comment, but I was armed, I was ready, I was determined to have a dining out experience without blowing day 3 of our 30 day challenge.

Now our daughter hasn't really had any problem with this lifestyle change (that I knew of), we send her with a lunch kit FULL of options so that she can never claim that she's going without. Our usual lunch this week has been lunch meat wraps, we found alot of nitrate free, uncured, etc type options and have enjoyed the portable options of layering them up with some lettuce in the middle... we have enjoyed them so much that come day 3 we were out of several of our meat options (See previous post about still trying to learn how much to buy... 1/4 lbs is not enough for 3 people.. lol) so yesterday I had to make her a salad, she loves spinach leaves so I put some in a tupperware with some of the boars head natural smoked turkey crumbled on top, I was afraid that wouldn't be enough so we also had some Carving board rotisserie chicken so I crumbled some of that in too (even though this isn't something we would buy again, too many additives) ... So she was set and we were off... Never heard anything else about it. Apparently she didn't like it and filled their ears full of complaints.

Her favorite thing at outback is their garlic mashed taters. Since I'm still new to this lifestyle and so far everything I've read says no white taters (conflicting info on sweet taters, still eating this occasionally) I told her no she couldn't have the garlic mashed taters, besides I'm sure they put milk in them too. She love broccoli and I told her she could have that which of course lead to a head down on the table, pout fit. Since we were there to celebrate and I wasn't going to have her pout up the evening, I took her out front and had a talk with her. It was one of those mom moments which you have to exercise patience... by the end of it I had her repeating "It's silly to cry over mashed potatoes!" We had recovered and headed back to dinner with the family. Now something must have happened while we were outside, I still haven't really heard the whole story yet, but the bottom line is that feeding our daughter whole, healthy foods, apparently means to outsiders that we are starving her, she is suffering, it's not fair, etc.

We stopped by the grocery store to buy a few more items and I stayed up in the kitchen until 10pm making dozens of wraps, some more muffin meat loaves, pre-cooking some chicken tenderloins, washing and ziplocking grapes, cutting up pineapple (our daughters favorite fruit), etc. I was determined that no one was ever going to think she was doing without again! As I stood at the sink washing dishes from the evenings events... I began to cry, the voice of doubt crept into my head, I felt like it was my fault that my family was dealing with social pressures, I had researched this lifestyle, if it wasn't for me then they could go on eating things that seemed somewhat normal, we ate pretty healthy before. I had an over the top thought of sending her with twinkies and ding dongs... I mean apparently crap food is normal food so why not just let her have her fill, there were lot so really negative thoughts running around in my head. And this is why I want to share this part of the process... so that others can be more prepared for what pressures they might feel.

Fortunately I have faith, so I prayed. I know that I am doing the right thing for my family. I know that I did not pressure them into this lifestyle. I know that we will all be happier and healthier because of these lifestyle changes. I know that we can get through this.

No comments:

Post a Comment