Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Hunting and Gathering

I went grocery shopping a week ago Saturday night and I just had to giggle as I looked down into my basket. I should have taken a picture or something. There was nothing but produce bags in my basket. I loaded up on so much whole, healthy, organic fruits and veggies. I think my trip was about 90% organic, only because there we a couple of things they didn't have in organic variety... I'm realizing that the higher cost is off set by the health of myself and my family. My items included things like kale, bell peppers, zucchini, carrots, celery, apples, peaches, plums, bananas. There was such a beautiful rainbow of colors coming from my basket.


During my weight loss journey over the last year and a half, I tend to have a million comparison pictures the comparison shot that kept coming to mind was one of me before... before I woke up and realized what I was doing to my health, my body, my family before. I would buy processed boxed and freezer foods. I would go for convenience items over whole natural items. Compare that basket of old to this one of new... I felt very good about the money I spent this weekend making those whole healthy choices.

Instead of spending my weekend in bed, napping my life away... I washed and prepped veggies. I soaked walnuts, pecans, cashews, almonds, pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds and then dried those nuts. I plan to make my own trail mix with the nut varieties and some raisins and dried dates.




We invested in a food dehydrator that weekend so we would be able to make our own apple chips, banana chips, zucchini chips, even beef jerky. Since we are now so much more aware of what goes in to our food supply, we have determined that it is just a better choice to make these things ourselves than trying to buy them at the store.

I hope to someday learn more about canning and maybe make some home-made pickles and salsa.

We also picked up a juicer that my mom had but wasn't using. Last monday I started my day with a kale, spinach, celery, carrot and apple juice... my husband had a celery, carrot and apple juice.... and I was able to make home made apple juice for my 8 year old daughter. It was pretty funny when she said "That doesn't look like REAL apple juice" I realize what a blessing it is to teach her NOW what real food really does look like, since what we purchase the stores now days, doesn't resemble REAL food very much.

I have to say that I am finally, fully embracing a healthy lifestyle. Not only am I living a healthy lifestyle but my whole family is and we all benefit from that.

No comments:

Post a Comment