Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Awesome beginning to week 3

Yesterday our little one was sick so I stayed home with her. She woke up throwing up and as she was resting on the couch I kept going through the items of the B.R.A.T diet… Banana’s we had, so after a few hours I let her try a banana. When that stayed down, Rice, Toast, nope… not in our household. Applesauce, hummm… My husband had the great idea “why not try to make some” So away I went to the kitchen with an organic apple and food processor. I cut up the apple and removed the seeds and most of the core. Dropped those into the food processor, scraped down the sides, food processed some more. Hummm. It looked like chopped up apple, not quite apple sauce. Then I remembered we had some organic Apple juice in the fridge that we had purchased for our daughter prior to getting our juicer. So I added a little apple juice to the mixture and what do you know… it actually looked like apple sauce. I dished it out into a bowl and delivered it to my ailing wee-one. She gave it thumbs up, since she was deep in some cartoon at the time. (It was the only way to keep her down all day long, fill her with kid’s movies and cartoons) I was feeling super-momish as I served it up to her and she actually liked it. Pretty cool when you’re able to feed your kid a whole food item that you know exactly where it came from.


Since I was home from work yesterday I had a little more dinner prep time. I knew I was making Pork Chops but I really had no idea how I was going to make them. I have a tendency to overcook pork, leaving it tough, dry and not very tasty. I got out my Everday Paleo book and jumped to the section with Pork in it. Hooray! There was a pork chop recipe. I didn’t have all the ingredients listed but I had most of them so I figured I’d wing it with what I had. You start buy cooking apple in coconut oil until tender (Your also suppose to cook shallots but I don’t honestly know what that is exactly and I didn’t have any) Once the apples are tender but not quite cooked all the way you remove them from the pan, add another tablespoon of coconut oil to the pan. You take your pork chop and rub cinnamon into both sides of the pork chop along with some sea salt. Once that’s done you sear each side of the pork chop for 2 minutes. Once that’s done you’re suppose to add ¼ cup of white wine to the pan, but if I had wine in the house I’d drink it… haha. I knew I had some red wine vinegar so I thought well… might as well give that a shot. In case it gave it to much of a vinegar taste I used a little less than ¼ cup. You add that to the pan and then put the apples back in, cover and cook 8-9 minutes (maybe longer depending on how thick your chops are).

I decided I was going to make sweet potato fries with the coconut oil left over after cooking the pork chops so I moved the pork chops to a cookie sheet and put them into the oven to stay warm while I made the rest of the meal. I cut up a sweet potato into little fries and dusted them with cinnamon and sea salt since the pork chops had the cinnamon and apples I thought it would help tie the meal together. I fried up the sweet potatoes and served the pork chops and sweat potatoes with a lovely little green salad, spinach leaves, and pickles.

Well earlier in the day I had considered making this fruit cobbler I’d seen in my Everyday Paleo book, I had mentioned it to our daughter as something we might try and do later in the afternoon, but then dinner came upon us and I just got busy and forgot about it. Well my wonderful husband said we could still make it so I ran to the store to pick up some more honey (We were out) They started cutting strawberries, blackberries and blueberries, combining almond meal, coconut oil, cinnamon, etc. I arrive home and drizzle honey over the fruit and then we all crumble the almond meal mixture over the fruit and put it in the oven for a while. When it was done we served our daughters with some coconut milk ice cream and ours with some So delicious coconut creamer. It was warm and delicious, a little like warm cereal, a little like granola, a little like cobbler. We thought about adding walnuts to it, other kinds of fruit, seems like the possibilities are endless and it was a super yummy comfort food type treat for us.

Tonight we had an awesome combination of left overs.  This weekend I had made some really delicious meat balls using grass fed beef, pork sausage, grated carrots and grated orange bell peppers.  We also had 3 small left over pork chops which I reheated in the oven with some fresh cut pineapple to keep it from drying out.  We decided to make a salad using green leaf lettuce, spinach, strawberries, mandarin oranges and walnuts.  So it was a very refreshing, almost tropical meal.  Oh so yummy and a super use of left overs.  YAY!

No comments:

Post a Comment