Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Portable Primal Breakfast

So I've been searching the internet and brainstorming for portable paleo/primal breakfasts. My husband needs to be able to nuke and run and once school starts the wee-one needs a warm and go meal too. I have been getting up and frying myself a couple of eggs each morning, it doesn't take long and gives me a nice protein enhanced boost to my day, but they probably don't think running eggs in the morning is a good thing. So I saw this wonderful idea out in cyberspace world where someone took muffin tins, put a tomato in the bottom, bacon around the sides and an egg in each one. Well we are tomato people so I thought, why not try the same thing but with sausage in the bottom instead.


So I cut the Jimmy Dean All-Natural  Sausage my husband normally eats on an english muffin and put the patties into the bottom of a muffin tin.  I put those into the oven at about 350 degrees for a while.  Once the sausage started to cook, I pulled them back out of the oven and tried to line the edges with bacon.  We have a really old muffin tin that isn't very deep, so I ended up taking the sausage patties out of the tin and putting the bacon around the edges of the tin and then slipped the sausage back into the bottom of the tin, inside the bacon wrapped edges.  I put these back into the oven for a while.

I then cracked three eggs into a measuring cup (for easy pouring) and put some coconut milk in with the eggs.  Hubby likes his eggs fluffy if he's going to eat them so I wanted to make them good in hopes he would enjoy my creation.  I added some salt and some pepper and stirred up the egg mixture.   I pulled the bacon and sausage out of the oven, at this point they were mostly cooked.  I then carefully poured the "scrambled" eggs into the muffin tin.


While the eggs, bacon and sausage were cooking in the oven, I hopped into the shower and dressed for work.  When I came back I moved them up to the top rack and broiled them just for a few minutes to get them a nice yummy golden brown on the tops.



Aren't they super duper yummy looking.

To make them easy grab and go I put each one in a small Tupperware container so that each morning we could just grab one out and microwave it.  I think I might also try cupcake holders so that we could just store them all in ziplock bags, grab one out, microwave it on a paper towel and head out the door.  Less room in the fridge and less dishes to wash.

1 comment:

  1. I feel pretty good about everything in this one except the sausage. It just won't work long term. I get the all natural Jimmy Dean sausage but I notice there is sugar in the ingredient listing... this is not paleo/primal and therefore I need to find an alternative to our breakfast sausage. I have some venison/pork breakfast sausage that my brother in law gave to us a while back, I'm going to make this week's batch with that and hope that there isn't sugar in it. I've seen some postings for make your own breakfast sausage using ground chicken/turkey and ground pork, I might just have to look into making my own since I want to make sure I know what my family and I are eating every single day.

    ReplyDelete